Winter Power Outage Safety
With winter on its way, we've prepared some helpful tips to help ensure you're prepared in the event of a power outage this winter.
While the EQUS team conducts regular preventative maintenance on our distribution system to reduce outages, we can’t prevent all outages, particularly those caused by storms. EQUS crews work fast to restore power to all our members, but there are a few simple things you can do to ensure your family is ready in the event of a winter outage:
- Keep a supply of flashlights and batteries handy.
- Ensure your smoke/carbon monoxide detectors have battery backup and change the batteries regularly.
- Use proper candle holders placed on safe surfaces and out of the reach of children. Never leave candles unattended and always extinguish them before going to bed.
- Cover any drafty windows and doors that could let heat escape.
- Have a battery-powered radio or back up cell phone charging device available to ensure you’re able to receive emergency information in a storm.
- Keep a supply of bottled water and non-perishable food on hand.
- Never use charcoal or gas barbecues, camping heating equipment, or home generators indoors.
- Consider leaving taps on a slow drip to prevent pipes freezing, or close the main water valve on your home and run taps until empty if you believe your pipes are at risk.
- Unplug appliances and electronics to avoid overloading the circuits in your home and the system when power is restored. Please wait for 10 to 15 minutes after the power has been restored before you turn everything back on. This gives the electrical system time to stabilize and is particularly critical in the winter.
- Refrigerators and freezers can keep food cold for 24-36 hours if the door remains closed.
- If it is essential for you to have uninterrupted power on your property for livestock care, health issues, medical equipment, or other vital reasons, you may want to consider having a generator installed. Call us at 310.EQUS (310-3787) and a member of the EQUS team can provide more information.
Report your outage by calling 310.EQUS (310-3787) toll-free from anywhere in Alberta, or use our simple online form: