Electricity 101

Get To Know Your Electricity

Electricity can be complicated, but if you armed with the right information, it can save you some big money for your home or business.


There are three components to all electrical utility bills in Alberta:

  1. Energy - The energy charge is determined through an electricity wholesale market and billed by a retailer. The charge on your utility bill is based on your consumption for the billing period, which is calculated on a per kilowatt-hour (kWh) basis. Electricity can be purchased through the retailer of your choice.
  2. Transmission - Transmission lines are required to get electricity from the source of generation, through high-voltage power lines, to the distributor who then supplies lower-voltage electricity to consumers. All consumers in Alberta are required to pay for this service, which is identified as a transmission charge on your bill. Transmission rates are approved and regulated by the Alberta Utilities Commission.
  3. Distribution - EQUS is responsible for providing the distribution of electricity, building and maintaining the poles, lines, transformers, and substations that connect our members to their power supply. As a co-operative, EQUS’ board determines our competitive rates based on the costs to build, operate, and maintain our distribution system. These services are billed to members at cost, without generating profit.

Throughout most of Alberta, distribution services are offered exclusively by a single provider, however in certain areas of rural Alberta, consumers have a choice in who manages the infrastructure that delivers their electricity. That choice allows you to choose between receiving those services from an investor-owned utility, or from a member-owned co-operative (EQUS).

In 2022, EQUS members saved over $14.1 million on their electricity distribution services. See if you fall within the EQUS Service Area, and you could join them!

Contact us for a free, no-obligation quote today!

Members are free to purchase electricity services from a retailer of their choice. For a list of retailers, visit http://www.ucahelps.alberta.ca or call 310.4822 (toll free in Alberta).